Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
MiraCosta College is committed to creating a racially just campus climate. Individuals and their diverse cultures and identities are welcomed, nurtured, and validated. MiraCosta College takes institutional responsibility for closing the equity gap for disproportionately-impacted populations including Latinx and Chicanx communities, Black and African American communities, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander communities, Native American communities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) communities, veteran communities, former foster youth, adult students, and students from low socioeconomic statuses. MiraCosta will continue to serve all constituents with values rooted in equity, diversity, inclusion, and community.
The college is committed to providing opportunities for engagement both across the campus and within the communities the college serves. The college seeks to remove barriers to learning, participation, and success, with a focus on changing procedures and practices that disproportionately affect certain groups. Anchored in a culture of evidence, MiraCosta College promotes increased awareness and appreciation of individual, collective, and intersecting identities within our diverse society and acknowledges that different students learn in different and unique ways.
MiraCosta College has an array of resources and programs for students that focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. These include the following:
- The Student Equity Department: www.miracosta.edu/studentequity
- Academic Success and Equity Programs: www.miracosta.edu/ASE
- The Social Justice and Equity Center: www.miracosta.edu/socialjusticeandequity
- LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual plus) Resources: www.miracosta.edu/lgbtqia
- History and Heritage Months: www.miracosta.edu/historyheritagemonths
- Access Conferences: www.miracosta.edu/access