Transfer Center Services
Oceanside, Building 3700: 760.795.6880
Recommendations for Transfer Students
The MiraCosta College Transfer Center provides students with all of the tools they need to navigate the transfer process. This process can sometimes seem complex because the requirements and application timelines can differ depending on where a student chooses to transfer and the major he or she decides on.
The Transfer Center offers workshops and provides appointments with university representatives. For the most comprehensive assistance, the Transfer Center encourages students to develop an educational plan with a counselor and to monitor that plan with their counselor as they move toward their transfer goal.
Students interested in attending graduate school to pursue a post-bachelor's degree can find important resources in the Transfer Center to assist them with their goals. These students should visit the website and select Graduate School Information. Transfer Center counselors are available to assist students individually by appointment. The counselors will review graduate school admission requirements and discuss how to prepare while still at the community college level.
Students considering a transfer path should take the following steps:
- Complete required math and English courses as soon as possible, especially if skill development is needed prior to eligibility for transfer-level courses.
- See a counselor within the first semester at MiraCosta to make sure necessary preparation-for-the-major, general education, and admission requirements are understood. Request a written educational plan. Counseling faculty are available to assist students who need help selecting a major and/or a transfer university.
- Select a major-preparation course over a general education course when there is a conflict in scheduling. Many major-preparation courses are part of a sequence and may not be offered every semester, whereas general education courses are frequently offered each semester and during the summer.
- Visit the intended transfer college's website to research major and other transfer opportunities.
- Attend a campus tour and orientation session at the transfer university. Tours and orientation sessions provide a great way to learn about different campuses and to meet with department advisers.
- Submit applications to more than one college or university (unless the student is participating in a transfer admission guarantee program). Be aware of admission application filing dates. Visit the application website for information:
- Check application status at the transfer school's website to ensure application materials have been received; follow up if any problems are detected. Respond immediately if contacted with any questions.
- If eligible, apply for an associate degree within the first 6 weeks of the student's last semester at MiraCosta (for eligibility requirements, see Associate Degrees).
2018 Transfer Center Calendar
|July 1-31||Admission Application Filing Period for UC Winter Quarter|
|(if UC campus is accepting applications)|
|Aug. 1-31||Admission Application Filing Period for CSU Spring Semester|
|(if CSU campus is accepting applications)|
|Sept. 1-30||UC Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) filing period|
|Oct. 1-Nov. 30||CSU and UC Application Workshops|
|(Contact the Transfer Center for dates and times)|
|Oct. 1-Nov. 30||Admission Application Filing Period for CSU|
|Nov. 1-30||Admission Application Filing Period for UC|
All dates above are subject to change. Information is based on data available as of May 2018.